Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
– Miriam Beard
We never want to believe that there is a magical reality, though there are a myriad of magical places in this world. We all too often choose to ignore the wide-open door leading elsewhere, and instead live vicariously through fictional characters beamed onto our televisions. Perhaps the outskirts of town is a foreign land as one gets tangled up in every day life, or maybe even the thought of hopping on a plane today seems like more hassle that it is worth.
Instead, we want to live uncomplicated, and simple, lives, staying put. We want to swim in reality, and remain in our “safety zones,” but while swimming through it, we can miss out on so many idyllic landscapes, vibrant cultures, and amazingly beautiful architecure waiting for us to discover. Yes, we do get a glimpse of another world without realizing at times, though there is no real substitute for travel. In fact, no matter how much you have learned in a classroom, there is no better education than experiencing a land beyond our borders first-hand.
During my adult life, I have grown tremendously, and have learned to “think internationally” simply by opening my mind while visiting countries foreign to my own. As a travel photographer, I have flown a million miles, trundled step after step, and have clicked the shutter on my camera more times than can be counted.
Throughout this article you will view some rather magical places, and this is my reality. One could say — everything I’ve learned, I’ve learned from traveling around this world, and yet, there are still so many lessons to be learned, and so many more corners of this world to discover. . . .
1. The world is huge. I mean, really, really huge.
It is larger than our minds can ever imagine.
2. The more we see, the more we want to see.
Yes, the list can be never-ending.
3. We are braver, and stronger, than we know.
Stepping out of comfort zone really
is not that scary.
4. Nothing stops traffic quite like a herd of cows
in the middle of a West Ireland road.
5. The cruelty of a few can ruin the lives of many.
But, the vast majority of people are good.
6. Happiness really is a way of travel,
and not a destination.
7. Just around the corner in West Texas could mean
at least a hundred miles.
8. Certain sights may disappear from the mind,
but experiences will stay with
9. You can travel just fine without
10. Wearing the same clothing week after week
is not so bad unless you don’t wash them.
11. It is entirely possible to take too many
12. Even if you aren’t the traveler, or person,
you want to be in your head,
it’s never too late to change.
13. The more you say “tomorrow,”
the less likely tomorrow will arrive.
14. Life is amazing. There’s no reason to worry.
Everything really does work itself out.
Relax and just go with the flow.
15. You can’t change the future – it hasn’t happened yet.
Make the best decisions you can today,
and enjoy the moment.
16. Life is a curious thing. Curiosity never killed
anything except maybe a few hours.
17. If you are determined enough, there are ample
opportunities in life that are totally achievable,
regardless of who you are.
18. The world is much more fun with people
of varying interests and beliefs.
19. Wear sunscreen, even if there is cloud-
cover, when near the equator.
20. Our parents are more awesome, encouraging,
and open-minded than we have ever given
them credit for.
21. Sleep and a good meal can cure an otherwise
22. Our homeland is as unique as those places we
fawn over in travel magazines,
23. Almost everyone has problems and puts on a
brave face – don’t presume they
have it easy.
24. The fastest way to get from Point A to Point B
is not always as obvious as it seems, and not always the
25. There’s no shame in saying “I don’t know.”
It’s much smarter to be honest.
26. When you spend enough time with people who are
actually living on next to nothing, but having a full life,
then you will truly understand money is not always
27. Television is the greatest black hole of time
available to mankind.
28. You really can depend on the kindness of strangers.
29. Gazing at the Milky Way can make you feel both small,
30. Every person’s lifestyle is equally valid as
long as that person is happy.
31. No matter how geeky we think we are,
there are people so much
geekier than us.
32. There are some great benefits to not knowing
the local language – like miming out
“chicken” to let the waitress know you
want eggs for breakfast.
33. The world that is worth experiencing is not
in books, or on TV, or computer screens.
It’s with other human beings.
34. While doing as the locals do will help
enrich your travels, urinating on the side
of the street is not a necessary
35. There is a song for everything.
36. Never ever leave your bag unattended.
37. One word may have three different meanings
in three different countries.
38. Never regret the things you’ve done, only
the things you haven’t.
39. If you want soft toilet paper, it’s best to pack it.
40. The Aurora Borealis is the most amazing light show
anywhere, and might make you believe in
41. Journey is an adventure. No matter what happens
on the road, it’s never a mistake. As was once said,
“your choices are half chance, and so are
42. Scare yourself once in a while. It makes life less dull.
43. You are never really alone being alone.
44. Don’t force yourself to say another good-bye
if you don’t have to.
45. Every country in the world is modernizing, but this
does not mean that they are westernizing,
46. You might appear “backwards” in a culture you view
60. You can’t please everyone.
47. Thinking too much can stop you from experiencing
an adventure of a lifetime.
48. Comfortable shoes can be a blessing.
49. Wash Your Hands.
50. Living vicariously through someone
else is not the way to live.
51. Deferring your happiness to the
future is a terrible idea.
52. You can relate to everyone in the
world if you look past the
superficial things that
53. The world owes you nothing.
54. You owe it to yourself to be the master of
where your life ends up.
55. People are impressed by those who are not trying
to impress them.
56. Spending time exclusively with people who agree
with you about almost everything is not
a challenge, and you learn so much
57. Embrace your individuality. What is “cool” now
will be out of style in a few years.
58. You can be “interesting” by being a good listener.
59. The most important lessons in life
can never be expressed in black and white,
but must be experienced.
60. International calling with mobile phones is great,
until the bill arrives.